Monday, August 9, 2010
Edinburgh Rocks!
Hello glorious people of the world, you may think I've fallen off the planet but I'm alive and kicking, with only one leg mind you but thats a different story! This is the great Edinburgh Castle, and it was way back in August 2010 when I was actually there! Now it's February 2011 - where did the time go?!! I loved being in the UK and I wish I could have stayed longer, but sadly all good things come to an end (who invented that rule? It stinks!!)
Anyway, back to Edinburgh. . . we only had a couple of hours there but during that time I practically fell over begging my mum to buy me a Scottish kilt, shirt and dagger. By the way, I never actually got it! But I will someday. . . We had a look at the castle from the outside but never got time to explore it. It's colossal and the way it is perched on a rock I am amazed it hasn't fallen off yet! Good job the UK doesn't have big earthquakes like us in NZ or the castle might have fallen off and squashed Edinburgh! We also took a walk along Princes Street and that's where I found the shop with the Scottish kilt. There was bagpipe music playing in the shop and everything seemed to have tartan, the Loch Ness monster or thistles on it. Inside that shop I spotted a cool t-shirt. Instead of iPod it said "iPood" and showed a picture of someone sitting on an iPod-style toilet while poohing. Grossssssssssss!
By the way, if you are wondering about the post title, it's because Edinburgh really does rock - there's even a candy to prove it. Up there it's called a "sweetie" by the way! The Edinburgh Rock sweetie is a hard boiled multi-coloured sugar sweetie which is turned into a long thin stick and then cut up. Hint - do not try chewing it! I almost broke my teeth on a piece once.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Jamie
ReplyDeleteI don't like to say anything, but you've already had the full scottish dress experience,(I'm not sure about the dirk though...) A threat, misbehave and I'll sort out the picture of you at 18months old in full scottish finery... It might not do your street cred a great deal of good but never mind. Edinburgh did at one time have really big earthquakes and fiery volcanoes and every thing, the castle is built on the lava plug of an extinct volcano. This is all that's left after the rest of the mountain has been eroded away over the years. Mind you, this did happen over the last fifty million years so it's a bit before my time and I don't think there's much chance of the place bouncing around these days
See you soon. Geoff
At last! I wondered what you were doing when you were up in "Bonnie Scotland" If I'd known you were hankering after the full-blown scottish regalia, I'd have let you! There really is no point in getting something as expensive as that until you have finished growing to the full twelve foot you will be at eighteen years old (or there about)! However, if you really wanted to send your Mum and Lulu up the wall, a set of bagpipes might be a good alternative! These occassionally come up in charity shops at a reduced price, so please don't hold your breath until you get some. As Geoff mentioned, there are a series of pictures somewhere(including one of you whirling round) with the kilt you are wearing all flared out. If I recall correctly you are also wearing a rather smart lovat green jacket. I believe that outfit belonged to your Dad.... but I may be wrong. Anyway I look forward to reading further news however late it may be. PLEASE CONTINUE! Love Nanna x
ReplyDeleteJamie! Sorry it has taken us sooo long to discover you have reactivated your blog. We agree with Nanna that it would be wise to wait till you've finished growing before you get your kilt! Re the bagpipes, I seem to recall someone telling me long ago that pipers usually start by learning to play the chanter (I think that's how you spell it!) It's really the mouth- and fingering piece of the bagpipes. It is quite like a recorder, so maybe you could have a go at one of those. Your Mum & Lulu will probably hate that suggestion! Meantime, keep blogging!! Love from Paula & Marion
ReplyDelete