Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dirty Dinosaur Digging at Doniford

A couple of days ago I went to Doniford beach to look for fossils (Aka dinosaur digging!) with Uncle Gareth and my cousin Iwan. We found some fossils eventually but not until I'd fallen over in knee deep mud a couple of times, it was just like the Muddy Buddy I did with my mum in Tasman except the Muddy Buddy was lots more painful cos there were way more shells and crabs. We found an ammonite, an ammonite and an ammonite, in that order! Then we found some fossilised sea anemone. Trouble was the rocks that they were in were too big to bring home and it's illegal to smash the rocks away from the fossils so we didn't want to do that! But Gareth took lots of photos, as you can see below. We had a really good time even though we all got filthy, and we had fun getting clean under the tap back at the campsite. It was the first time I had ever seen fossils in a real place not in a curio shop so that was really cool. Thanks Gaz!!

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgCwydnAJR7XodztSuaMYyHvzejHOn357DnjZq9UT5JnDR77QTpTm28w63YJUe22xYYX6PE_E3TTpGW3FrgId7zIZaO6tzylhqGgFmk_3KB8ubF5lrFzV05ENxcXLQ0tftAYFPVFmOEvvk/s1600/Doniford+115-727837.JPG">

7 comments:

  1. Mud mud glorious mud, this is what passes for sand around these parts, it's great fun, you can get really mucky and not get shouted at as fossicking for fossils is educational and there fore allowed
    love Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha .. It does remind me of the muddy buddy except you look a lot happier and aren't moaning your head off!!! lol ..
    I see you didn't post the photo of you hosing your legs off .. Thank Goodness! You would have had to figure out how to put an 'R' rating on your blog!! :) I've seen the photo and all I can say is .. Nice Undies!!! :)
    Cool fossils! I bet they are definitely older than Great Grandad!
    Love Lulu & Frodo XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those ammonites are really impressive - and so is the mud! I can remember going to Curio Bay down in Southland when I was very young - which must have been about 100 years ago, I think. Anyway, it is a petrified forest and I found what I was sure was a dinosaur footprint! I took a photo and then showed it to the Otago Museum Education Officer when I got back to Dunedin. I was soooo disappointed when he told me it was just a fossilised plant! You obviously had a lot more fun fossil hunting than I did!
    Marion loved the photo of all the cousins. It sounds as though you all have a great time together!
    Love Paula & Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Complimenti da Italia - congrats on such wonderful fossil findings!!

    You look as if you loved the MUD!!!

    Hi from Mirren Barry and Freya, who by the way loves Italy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are flying to England 9th September for our niece's wedding in Crowcombe Heathfield, so near to Bishops Lydeard!!!!

    Hope you are having as good a time as it sounds !!!! Super to be having fun with your cousins.

    Give our love to Kate
    Ciao Mirren Barry & Freya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool fossils, Jamie. Sophie has an ammonite but I've never found one. I did once find a horsetail fossil which was pretty nice. See you in the morning! Ewen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looked pretty fun, Jamie! I can see that you got pretty dirty. Did you take a shower? So did you find any dinosaur fossils? Are you having a great time still? This is a great blog so far and we are enjoying reading it. Can't wait to see you in Oct. Zane and Angie
    Hello to your mum and hello to Lulu and Frodo via the blog.

    ReplyDelete